FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Embedded Chords

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AlienApparatus.com Forum Index -> Tips from the Mothership
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nigel Mulvey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Embedded Chords Reply with quote

Can someone please tell me where chords are embedded in midi files. I have been working with them for years and seem to have missed this little bit of information. Are they inserted like lyrics or does the software translate them from the notes on a track.

Cheers in advance,

Nigel
Thor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Embedded Chords Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure they're referring to karaoke midi files with a .kar extension

Thor
OS X 10.7.4
BrianLord

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Chords in Midifiles Reply with quote

Hey Nigel,

I thought they were converted from the notes in the midi files but I may be wrong here. I am still using Musicator 3.1? I think it is from over 10 years ago and it seems to be doing what I stated.

Love to chat by phone if you want just email me from my website.

www.ThePartyBand.com.au -- Let's Make A Party!
www.BrianLord.com.au -- Original Country Music

MBP 2.5GHz, 4GB Ram
And still using old Roland SD35's as a backup. Smile
BrianLord

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Chords in Midifiles Reply with quote

Hey Nigel,

I thought they were converted from the notes in the midi files but I may be wrong here. I am still using Musicator 3.1? I think it is from over 10 years ago and it seems to be doing what I stated.

MBP 2.5GHz, 4GB Ram
BrianLord

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Chords in Midifiles Reply with quote

Hey Nigel,

MBP 2.5GHz, 4GB Ram
Alien Apparatus Support
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo Performer Show Controller generates chords automatically for MIDI files that have lyrics also embedded in them. If your MIDI file is actually a karaoke file with a .kar extension, then it will do this. If its just a regular MIDI file, but has text events inside of it, this will work as well.

With the correct type of file, if you select it on the playlist and then show the Info window, on the Lyrics tab you can select a MIDI channel to use for the lyric display. Under this, there is also a control where you can choose a MIDI channel to use for chord displays.

Regards,

Alien Apparatus Support
BrianLord

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Ron, could you get these chords to control a VoiceLive2 TC Helicon vocal effects unit?

MBP 2.5GHz, 4GB Ram
Thor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your midi file in a playlist, right click on the song name and choose midi...build midi sequence. With the Midi Events editor now showing, the midi menu should show an option to import midi sequence. Choose the midi file you want to play and a sheet should appear where you can choose what device(VL2) to receive the change and also what channel your chords are on to generate the harmonies on the Voicelive 2. Also the channel for the VL2.

Once you hit OK it will generate many midi events that include note on and off and pitch into your midi sequence. Most of the time the midi events are slightly out of sync so you can select all the midi events and drag them one way or another to sync.

Hope this helps. I also have the VL2 and use this for my gigs
OS X 10.7.4
UserSteve23

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tips! Saw this while staying in St. Marys Apartments when it was shared by a friend from apartments in Kingsland GA. Will share this with Markham Gardens when we go to Phoenix.
UserSteve23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends at ridgeleigh at van dorn did the exchange at brier creek in Summit Ridge Apartments Temple TX and shared these tips to guys in Huntsville apartments.
BrianLord

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Chords and Using VL2 --- and where's Ronnie? Reply with quote

Thanks Thor for the excellent tip.

Shall do that. Just love the VL2; takes away relying on others to show up and do their practice. Smile God I must be becoming hard to live with. ;]

By the way .... I had problems with my SPSC since day 1 on either my MAC Book Pro 4GB Late 2008 or Win XP Laptop. Got a few answers from Ron to start with - I'd say until the 30 days ran out for returns (actually unsure of exact time frame) but I'm just guessing here. Then no responses since 2009 - EVER.

Haven't heard from Ron since and have never used the SPSC "live". A real shame as it showed so much promise! It just has too many glitches in it for me to use and rely on "live" when my performance reputation and peace of mind is on the line.

Upgraded to a full LED Midi Light show - awesome gear, got the VL2 like I said above and a new PA. BUT still using the old Win98/2K 16Bit Song Librarian from over 10 years ago! AND it is reliable and works a treat just doesn't have the bells and whistles I wanted that SPSC was MEANT to offer in a reliable package.

Sorry if this is a scathing post about you Ron - but hey man, all you need to do is to get in touch with us. If you have health or other issues let us all know.

Sorry new people researching it. I can't recommend it simply as there is NO SUPPORT!!!!

MBP 2.5GHz, 4GB Ram
ZB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: A New Year Reply with quote

Looks like I got beat for first post of the new year! Anyway, again Ron where are you? Question We're still using SP as our primary 'showmaker' and once you've figured out the 'temperment' we'eve not had a crash in at least 50 gigs....But you have to 'work' with the program....these are some of the things we do as we use the program: (1) Erase the database file everytime you add new source materials (mp3's, midi sequences, lyrics, light shows, etc) (2) Boot the program a couple of times after adding new material (3)Don't 'fill up' the program by having more than 5 sets/playlists at any one time ready to go (don't need more than 5 sets anyway at gigs) (4) We used to reboot the program at each set break but haven't been doing this lately and things working fine. Last nights New Years Eve gig was one of those where the audience was not what we expected and we had to make MANY on the fly song additions/changes---no problems, everything worked perfectly. We use the program on 3 diifferent Windows 7 machines of various specs and all work OK. Hope this helps you users out there. We are still waiting for an update with more DMX channels and some editing interface improvements...Happy New Year Ron wherever you are!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AlienApparatus.com Forum Index -> Tips from the Mothership All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: