FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LCD Screens on Mic Stands for Lyrics/Music

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AlienApparatus.com Forum Index -> Tips from the Mothership
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: LCD Screens on Mic Stands for Lyrics/Music Reply with quote

A lot of questions to our band on how we do this so here it is for ya'll: (check out our photos on this website under 'Whose using SP") We mount easily obtainable 7" LCD screens on our mic stands and feed a signal from the PC to the screen. The screens can be purchased from any number of auto accessory dealers and are sold for headrest installs for those vehicles where the owner is installing a DVD player. Depending on your PC/Laptop or Mac you take the VGA output signal and run it through a simple scan converter that changes the signal to a NTSC composite video signal. You can buy these cheap converters for around 100 bucks. Some PCs can output regular NTSC composite video along with the VGA video so there you would not need the scan converter. Then to feed multiple monitors we run the signal through a simple video distribution amp/splitter to feed multiple monitors. That's all there is to it....sure beats having a music stand with a big ole 3 ring binder holding all that paper music. (When ya got over 300 tunes in the system it's pretty hard to remember every chord change and lyric!) Very Happy
Mastersonics

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: LCD Screens on Mic Stands for Lyrics/Music Reply with quote

ZB wrote:
A lot of questions to our band on how we do this so here it is for ya'll: (check out our photos on this website under 'Whose using SP") We mount easily obtainable 7" LCD screens on our mic stands and feed a signal from the PC to the screen. The screens can be purchased from any number of auto accessory dealers and are sold for headrest installs for those vehicles where the owner is installing a DVD player. Depending on your PC/Laptop or Mac you take the VGA output signal and run it through a simple scan converter that changes the signal to a NTSC composite video signal. You can buy these cheap converters for around 100 bucks. Some PCs can output regular NTSC composite video along with the VGA video so there you would not need the scan converter. Then to feed multiple monitors we run the signal through a simple video distribution amp/splitter to feed multiple monitors. That's all there is to it....sure beats having a music stand with a big ole 3 ring binder holding all that paper music. (When ya got over 300 tunes in the system it's pretty hard to remember every chord change and lyric!) Very Happy

Hi

I'm fascinated by your setup

Is there a way you could be more specific
on the things I will need in order to get this thing going?

Links should be great.

Even better will be posting closer pictures of your signal flow

feel free to send them to: mastersonics@mac.com

thanks a lot for your prompt reply
regards,
CJ
ZB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: MIMO Screens Reply with quote

Mastersonics: thanks for the tip on the MIMO screens! Mastersonics made us aware of a new type of small 7" screen made by MIMO. The advantage is that they run off of USB bus power from your PC and thus require no wallwart for power. We purchased a number of the model 710 units and they work well, HOWEVER the way they display the Windows desktop takes a workaround. In the 'mirror' mode (as opposed to the 'extended desktop' mode) they only cover a portion of the windows desktop---the amount of desktop varies with the screen resolution of your PC. The screen stays 'centered' where ever you move the mouse on the desktop. You have to exactly place the mouse and somewhat minimize the Solo Performer window to get a correct lyric window placement in the screen. It is a different way to do it but it seems to work OK. And this will not work if you use the SP footswitch that makes the lyric screen go to full size on the windows desktop. (We never use this feature 'cause I always want the song list showing on the PC screen) Now we can eliminate the wall warts for each screen we use as well as the NTSC video distribution amp and it's wallwart making for a cleaner stage setup. (Less cables are good!) You do have to buy USB extension cables because the screens only come with a 4 ft. cable that requires TWO USB ports for each screen---not a big deal for us since we were already running a 7 port USB hub off of our laptop. (Make sure to buy the special USB extensions for USB cable runs longer than 16ft, the specified USB cable length limit) These MIMO screens provide a much sharper and clearer lyric image than that on the NTSC video screens.
Nigel Mulvey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: MIMO Screens Look Good Reply with quote

I use a screen on my mike stand too and I am sick and tired of the clutter of cables at my feet. The idea that I can use just one USB cable is very attractive.

Get sick and tired of people accusing me of reading the lyrics though. Seems like it's quite acceptable to have a ring binder on a music stand, but use a screen and it's cheating. Still I wouldn't be without it, I've seen too many dance floors empty while the performer fumbles through mini discs to go back to the old days.
ZB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Screens are Cheating? Reply with quote

Nigel: In response to your comment on people thinking your 'cheating' when using an LCD screen......Just saw an Alannis Morrisette concert on HBO in hi def this weekend and she was using a BIG LCD screen (maybe 17") down on the floor in front of her mike as a prompter.......ignore those comments.....we only get that kind of negative feedback from the occasional jealous musician whose repetoire is 50 worn out blues tunes as opposed to our groups 350 plus arrangements with a sync'd lightshow. Our audiences absolutely LOVE our musical variety and presentation. Very Happy
UserSteve23

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Hyde Park Chicago, one among university of Chicago housing, and I am in a band as well. I do not see anything wrong with using LCD for monitors, as they are much more efficient in my opinion.

Bellemeade farms, a band based in apartments in Leesburg VA uses these a lot, too. It's very helpful and I cannot think of a reason why it should not be utilized. I don't understand those who are against it.
UserSteve23

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mondial Chicago uses these in Alexandria VA apartments, and in their gigs in Schaumburg IL apartments & apartments in West Bloomfield MI
UserSteve23

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was staying in apartments in Gulfport MS when I received this email from Seattle WA sharing that they employed this tip in a gig in Paradise Village Apartments.
UserSteve23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My band just finished gigs in apartments in Raleigh, apartments in Cape Coral, condos in Columbus Ohio and BYU housing. Great tour!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AlienApparatus.com Forum Index -> Tips from the Mothership All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: